Jewellery and Silversmithing at The Precious Metals Workshop
The Precious Metals Workshop is Scotland’s leading educational and resource workshop for jewellers and silversmiths. We provide bench space and tools for up to 30 resident jewellers and silversmiths. There are three workshops that offer a range of desks and affordability and all come with lockable storage.
The PMW also offers a three-tiered membership facility on a monthly and annual pay-as-you-go basis for access to the main workshop. Membership times are Monday-Friday, 10:00am until 5:00pm, but access is restricted during Summer School.
With three terms and a Summer School each year, there is a huge range of classes and workshops for everyone. From a ten week evening program to drop-in technique sessions and one day weekend workshops, we really do have something for everyone.
Starting in January 2017, Pliers (the educational and not-for-profit social enterprise arm to the Precious Metals Workshop) will run courses throughout the year at the PMW over a three, ten week term in alignment with the UK’s academic timetable. We run three, ten week terms each year in alignment with the UK schools term times, linking up the half terms. Our Evening classes and weekend workshops aim to have something for everyone and for all levels of skills. Towards the end of 2017, we intend to launch an assisted places scheme, whereby learners who couldn’t otherwise afford to sign up to courses can apply for discounted places. Please see our Terms & Conditions when booking any course.
- Teaspoon forging – 29th April 2017 – A fun one day workshop where you will forge your own keepsake spoon.
- Introduction to stone setting – 6th May 2017 – Learn how to set a stone in your own custom sized-to-fit silver ring.
- Lost wax casting – 20th & 21st May 2017 – A weekend of carving wax, making moulds and casting molten silver.
- Trash to Treasure – 3rd June 2017 – Environmentally conscious by recycling your metal waste, bring along your own scrap silver and get shown how to re-work it into sheet and wire.
- Introduction to enamelling – 11th June 2017 – A great day out where you will be taught how to work with enamel to add colour to your creations.
- Cad 3D modelling – 17th & 18th June 2017 – Learn the essentials in this 2 day workshop to design and create 3D jewellery on the computer with the future aim to have it 3D printed and cast.
- Leatherworking – 1st & 2nd July 2017 – A great 2 day workshop where you will get to play around with leather and make your own items such as coasters, cuffs and key fobs.
- Patina and texture – 8th July 2017 – A brilliant day of learning how to add patinas to your metals for jewellery and silversmithing.
- Monday evenings – 24th April – 3rd July 2017 – Ten evenings of jewellery classes for all levels of makers.
For details of upcoming workshops and classes at the Precious Metals Workshop, please visit preciousmetalsworkshop.com
Info & bookings: Ian Nicholson on 07535 449 037 or email@example.com