Outside + In Exhibition
Monday 15th - Saturday 20th May 2023
10am-5pm, free entry
An exciting free exhibition showcasing artwork and creations by Drill Hall Artists and Makers.
From paintings and illustrations to jewellery, it’s a showcase of some of the talents and achievements of our residents here at the Drill Hall and we’re delighted to share this with the wider community.
The confirmed exhibitors are:
- Felicity Inkpen – Art and illustrations in a variety of two-dimensional media
- Catherine Lazcano-Thornton – Paintings with designs inspired by colour and seasonal change
- Aoife in Leith – Paintings of local buildings on slate
- Amanda McGrattan – Jewellery
- Megan Chapman – Paintings and drawings
- Cam Life Designs – Paintings, illustrations, jewellery and crafts
- Jessica Crisp – Paintings and illustrations
- Precious Metals Workshop – Jewellery
- Mairi MacSween Designs – Drawings and paintings
- Twin City Pictures – Photography in either poster or canvas format
- Bremner Design – Lockdown drawings
- Ryan Hamill – Illustrations
- Mapply – Colourful map art prints of local areas
- Bethany Thompson – Simple & playful illustrations
There will be a Launch Event for the exhibition on Wednesday 17th May, 5:30pm – 7:30pm.
Self-taught artist Felicity Inkpen left a career in research neuroscience to make art and illustrations in a variety of two-dimensional media that explore all the strangest ways in which our minds work.
Mixed media paintings and drawings / “Give me a charcoal line and I will show you my heart’s story. Pair that line with paint and I will show you my life.”
Precious Metals Workshop
The Precious Metals Workshop is a consortium of independent jewellers from all levels of experience with various different disciplines. A few of our makers in residence have submitted a couple of pieces to this exibition.
Catherine Lazcano-Thornton is an abstract painter and surface pattern designer, inspired by the love of colour and seasonal change. She uses acrylic paints and a combination of mixed media to create textures and marks.
Aoife in Leith
Aoife in Leith creates paintings of local buildings of interest on slates.
Cam Life Designs
I am a multifaceted creator combining jewellery design, weaving, sound, coaching, AI and art into my practice. My pieces express my love for life and connection, creating testimonies of my resilience and courage facing multiple cancers. I explore various forms, textures and colours to create pieces inviting the viewer to appreciate the richness and diversity of human experience. Through my work, I aim to communicate my personal story and vision, empowering others to discover and unleash their own creative potential. I also seek to capture the nuance between life and death, and to celebrate the preciousness and fragility of existence.
My work is self expressive, looking back over prints I can see the reflections of my preoccupations at the time of making. My recent work references familiar domestic vessels, spaces and worn natural textiles, reflecting the ambivalence I feel towards identification with domestic settings. The natural world made expendable in the maintenance of our comfort in a modern ‘civilised’ society. I am interested in the familiar reflective spaces and materials of daily life – the hand holds by which we move from day to day. I think about the sequential rhythms of the way we look, the conceptual leaps we make between words and image, and the use of juxtaposition to construct and reconfigure meaning.