Doors Open Day
Saturday 24th September 2022
Hourly tours from 11am until the last tour at 2pm, free entry
Since 2004 Out of the Blue’s headquarters has been the Out of the Blue Drill Hall, a building of considerable historical and cultural significance to the Leith community.
The Drill Hall was built in 1901 for the Royal Scots Regiment, designed by the renowned architect Sir Rowand Anderson, who also designed the National Portrait Gallery on Queen Street and the McEwan Hall at Edinburgh University. Following Out of the Blue’s 2015 ‘Gretna 100’ project, which marked the centenary of the Gretna rail tragedy and its impact on the Leith community, the Out of the Blue Drill Hall was regraded from ‘B’ to ‘A’ listed.
Careful, sustainable restoration and regeneration have transformed this former military building into participatory and inclusive art and cultural centre, with artists’ studios, rehearsal and performance areas, exhibition spaces and a well-reviewed café.
Drill Hall Tours
On Saturday 24th September hourly tours will be running of the Out of the Blue Drill Hall from 11am until the last tour at 2pm. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your preferred tour slot to sign up for a place. There will be sign-up sheets available for each tour from 10am.
In addition to the tours, the bustling monthly Out of the Blue Flea Market will be open in the Main Hall from 10am-3pm.
Also part of this year’s Leith For Ever programme of events, celebrating Leith – Art, Culture, Heritage.